Spay and Neuter for Dogs and Cats in Alhambra
If you recently brought home a new puppy or kitten, congratulations on the new addition to your family! We know this is an exciting time for you, and we want to help your four-legged friend get started on the right paw so they can live a long, healthy life. That’s why we recommend that you spay and neuter your dog or cat. By having your pet spayed/neutered, you can reduce and even eliminate the risk of various health problems.
West Main Animal Hospital in Alhambra is equipped with a modern surgical suite, where we perform a number of soft tissue surgeries while keeping your pet’s safety and comfort at the forefront. With that in mind, you can be confident that your canine or feline companion will be in good hands while in our care.
When to Spay or Neuter Your Pet
The answer to this question is dependent on your pet’s breed. However, according to the American Animal Hospital Association (AAHA), healthy cats and dogs can be spayed/neutered as young as 2 months. We recommend that these surgeries be performed before 6 months of age, which will result in the most health benefits. We can discuss our specific age range recommendations for YOUR pet during their first wellness exam to our animal hospital.
Benefits of Dog and Cat Spaying and Neutering
- They can help pets live longer, happier, and healthier lives.
- They can help reduce the number of pets that are euthanized as a result of overpopulation.
- They can help more shelter pets find loving homes.
- Spaying can prevent uterine cancer and infections, and eliminate the risk of breast cancer—when performed before the first heat cycle.
- Spaying prevents future heat cycles and associated undesirable behaviors.
- Neutering can prevent testicular cancer.
- Neutering can eliminate aggressive behavior, marking, roaming, and “humping.”
Learn More About Spaying and Neutering
If you’d like to learn more about the benefits of spaying and neutering, visit AAHA’s pages on Spaying and Neutering Dogs or Spaying and Neutering Cats. You can also give us a call at (626) 282-2179 with your questions. If you’re ready to schedule an appointment for YOUR cat or dog’s spay or neuter procedure, you can use our online appointment request form.